Monday, May 5, 2014

Motivation for fighting a Mundane Monday

Week of May 5, 2014

Mondays can often be downers. It’s the beginning of yet another work week. That’s 5 whole days before you’re free, be it to craft and create or to attend the next event. But instead of letting the weight of a new week stifle my creativity or energy I’ve collected some links to use as inspiration. I’m sharing them here to give you a little Motivation for fighting Mundane Mondays.

1. The tyranny of style blog wrote an interesting article about a talk between costume designer Sandy Powell and Professor Deborah Nadoolman Landis about designing "The Young Victoria". The article also mentions the The Getty Center's exhibit "A Royal Passion: Queen Victoria and Photography." which I have personally gone to see. If you are able to, I would recommend it. Old photos offer so much in how the clothing was worn and how it looked on a person that fashion plates and mannequins can't. And if you like history there are lots of little tid bits throughout the exhibit about Queen Victoria, her family and how photography, an emerging technology, played into their lives.

2. Cinema Makeup School is having a "Next Level of Cosplay Scholarship Contest". Check out the entries!

3. Ever want to add lights to your costumes. This tutorial shows how to 'sew' LEDs into your costume.

4. I'm always jealous of those who have costuming buddies or a guild nearby. This week that envy was directed at the east coast because there were many who shared about their outing at the Fort Fredrick 18th century market fair. Historically Dressed, and A Dedicated Follower of Fashion, both shared LOTS of pictures of the event.

5. An interesting take on how to make armor. She is using it as a Fem Thor Armor but it could be applied to others.



6. Costume Con 32 was last weekend and pictures are starting to show up all over the web. Here is a link to a Flicker search. So many fun costumes!

7. I have followed this dress' story since close to its beginning. She had some ups and downs while trying to create it. Yet because she shared them with us along the way, it made seeing it all come together and her wearing it a great pleasure.

8. This weekend I attended the Southern California Renaissance faire. I wore a 'this 'ol thing' outfit but I did have a few new accessories.
My new Elizabethan shoes, American Duchess' Stratfords made their debate. I do have one complaint which is they run small, and I ended up with blisters. But they are stunning! I'm already plotting outfits that will coordinate and show them off better.


As I enter my last couple weeks of the spring semester I know my motivation and inspiration levels will be sapped away by term papers, projects and finals. But don't worry I have asked a couple of my favorite costumers to share with you, about their costumes and what inspires them. I am extremely excited that they have all agreed and promise you, you won't lack from inspiration to help motivate you while I am gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment