Monday, April 14, 2014

Motivation for fighting Mundane Mondays

Week of April 14, 2014

Mondays can often be downers. It's the beginning of yet another work week. That's 5 whole days before you're free, be it to craft and create or to attend the next event. But instead of letting the weight of a new week stifle my creativity or energy I've collected some links to use as inspiration. I'm sharing them here to give you a little Motivation for fighting Mundane Mondays.

1. The Southern California Pleasure Faire started April 5. This was my first Renaissance faire over 17 years ago, and what first started me in costuming. I look forward to faire time every year and this year is no different. I only have plans to add one new piece to my faire garb this year so I wasn't looking for the best of the best costumes. You know the ones that are simply awe inspiring. But rather the Fun ones that made me smile. I have a soft spot for the wee ones. And here are even more photos from opening weekend.

2. By far the one thing that got the wheels going in my head the most, was getting my Limited Classes Registration Packet in the mail from Costume College. Costume College is what my whole costuming world revolves around. As soon as I wrap up from the current event, planning begins for the next year. Getting the packet in the mail made me realize I have just under 4 months left! Here are some photos from last year's Costume College.

3. Remember what I said about my addiction to pretty historical shoes? The last of my birthday money has been spent.
When American Duchess released this tutorial on painting your own 1920s flapper shoes, I filed it away as 'pretty cool' but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on shoes I was going to alter.  Then I read about Aurora from Dramatic Threads altering hers, and doing a BEAUTIFUL job. After that I started researching jeweled heels from the 1920s.
 Jeweled heels ca. 1925 via The Kyoto Costume Institute 
I found a lot more, all of various degrees of complexity. But several that seemed doable. If only there wasn't the cost of the original shoes. I still couldn't justify paying that much just to alter them. And then American Duchess put a pair into her imperfect pile. :) I am beyond excited for this project, that has been brewing for a LONG time, all because of the above picture.

4. It always amuses me how one thing leads to another and then another when searching online. Having recently mastered the basics of knitting I was looking up new techniques. Somehow I got to knitting with your cat's fur, which then led to crafting with cat's fur. I know some people think this type of thing is gross but I don't. For me it falls in the same category as wool and I wear enough of my Little Man's fur already I don't see a difference in doing it on purpose.
I found this book and got it in the mail last week. Despite the obvious crafty type projects that I assume only kids and crazy old cat ladies may like, there are a few really cute projects. I was drawn to the needle felting projects especially the scarf with a kitty figure on the ends, done in your own kitty's fur.

5. Once again Loren from The Costumer's Closet has been making my attempt to resist a Game of Thrones' costume harder.  She began by showing how she is recreating a fabric from Cersei's gown with a stencil and fabric paint. Part one and then two. She also shared a lot of fun Game of throne costume and craft links. I'm starting to think I am going to have to sleep less just so I can start getting more projects done.

6. When asked what are the top three things I would like to improve on the most in my costuming Hair and Make-up will always be in there. Because of that I am always looking for new tips and tricks. This week I found this tutorial for Sleeping Beauty/Briar Rose from the blog Lisa Freemont Pages. My plan to use it this weekend at Wonder Con!

No comments:

Post a Comment