For both the kirtle and the waistcoat, I used The Tudor Tailor as the basis for my patterns. The main complaint I had with my last kirtle was that it buckled in the front. To prevent this from happening again, I added reed in boning channels to the strength layer of the kirtle bodice. It was a perfect fix. I also wanted a fuller skirt so I put 5 yards into the skirt alone.
I love the swish in the skirt!!!! The kirtle is made from black linen and black cotton drill.
The waistcoat is made from a silk my husband had gotten me in Thailand. I am not very good at guessing fabric types but if I was to guess its a dupioni. There are some minor slubs and color variations. It has a little body to it but is not as stiff as most taffetas. I used silk ribbons for the center front ties.
I wanted to keep the trim on this fairly simple so I used an antique gold border lace I had gotten at The Ribbon Store in Las Vegas.
I wore it with a low necked black worked chemise, coif, straw hat, and American Duchess Stratford shoes.
|Nottingham Festival - Simi Valley|